- The first airline from an Asian land country and the first airline from a Muslim country to fly the Super Constellation.
- The first Asian airline to operate a jet aircraft.
- The first Asian airline to be granted maintenance approval by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Air Registration Board, predecessor of the British Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
- The first non-communist airline to fly to the People’s Republic of China, and to operate a service between Asia and Europe via Moscow.
- The first airline in Asia to induct the new technology Boeing 737-300 aircraft.
- An IBM 1401, the first computer in Pakistan, was installed in PIA.
- The first airline to introduce a second route to People’s Republic of China over the mighty Karakoram Mountains.
- The first airline to show in-flight movies on international routes.
- PIA set up Pakistan’s first planetarium at Karachi.
- The first airline in South Asia to introduce auto-ticketing facility.
- The first airline in the world to fly to Tashkent, capital of the newly independent state of Uzbekistan.
- First airline in the world to start Air Safari with jet aircraft.
- First Asian airline to start flights to Oslo, the beautiful capital city of Norway.
- First airline in the world to induct Boeing 777-200LR, the world’s longest range commercial airliner.
- First airline in South Asia to offer the facility of seat reservation through mobile phone.